Friday, June 13, 2008

SPOKEN from the other side of the "fence" Pt.2


Somewhere in the mix of me posting my last entry I meant to stay on topic..but everybody who knows me IRL knows that when I feel passionately about something..it's not a easy feat..

So what I wanted to share is a online article that I read that basically depicts the views of a young Muslimah who happens to also be the product of a Polygynous marriage(I was so amazed that I had to read the article like 3 times).






Here is a small sample of what is written:



What Polygyny Has Given Me!
by a daughter of polygyny
As a young daughter of polygyny, I wish to share with others what polygyny has brought to my life. Inshallah I can help erase some of the fears many sisters today have associated with polygyny and I hope to bring to light the many benefits that exist when polygyny is practiced the way Allah(T) instructed us to through the example of our beloved Prophet(S). I am not involved in a polygynous marriage (or even married as a matter of fact); however, I have witnessed it first hand as a child and young adult al hamdulillah.

To start off, I would like to tell a little about myself. My mother became Muslim when I was a young child. In the beginning it wasn’t very easy for me. I watched my mom go from being a very “cool”, modernized mom to a very conservative one. It started with the clothing. She went from wearing mini-skirts to longer pants, skirts and long sleeve blouses and the headscarf (hijab). Eventually she made the transition into a jilbab (overgarment), and, now Mashallah she even wears niqab. All of this didn’t happen overnight either- it took several years.


To read the rest of this article, click on THIS link

2 comments:

Caminante said...

Assalamu `alaykum,
I just wanted to give you the heads up to let you know that the writer of that piece, wrote it as an "inspirational" story.
It's not a true story, or a true testimony of a daughter from a polygynous marriage. Unfortunately, the story has become so widespread that people forget to write that it's a work of fiction, not reality.

With this, I'm not denying that there could be daughters who have benefitted from polygyny. I would actually be very interested in meeting some and listening to their stories.

gr8fultohimswt said...

Salaam,

Well I appreciate you sharing this information and I shall be looking into it a bit more as well.

I wonder if my Grandparents would be willing to let me document their entire story? It would make for a fascinating factual tale of events.

Salaam